Wednesday, April 23, 2014

LOGICAL DICHOTOMIES: AN INTERESTING TAKE

It has been more than a couple of weeks that I have been having a churning of multiple thoughts for putting my pen to paper (finger to the keyboard, rather). And I was simply devoid of any ideas. Today is the first day of the Bengali New Year 1421 and as we say Shubho Noboborsho, I thought why not try and make an attempt. And what better place than a peaceful chair at 35000 ft above MSL, up in the air.

I started blogging in 2006 with an account of my experiences of going back to school at the ripe young age of 30. 6 months down the line, I started another blog to capture the experiences and happenings with a new arrival in the family. The first blog ended as I finished the school after a year. So started two new blogs to capture my thoughts: one on cooking and the other was for "rest of the nonsense in my mind". Fortunately I have been able to somehow maintain these, though with extremely sporadic updates.

Now that I have crossed the initial cold feet of writing a post, let me come to my story for the day. I like to talk and I do that with multiple variety and cross section of people as, when and whom come across. I like to know people and experience their thought process. These days the flavour in this part of the world (and I am sure in many parts of the Western world), are the general elections, Mr Narendra Modi (NaMo) and Mr Rahul Gandhi (RaGa). And no this is not about NaMo or RaGa. This is about the conversation I had with the gentleman driving the car on my way to the airport. He is a frequent service provider for my journeys to and from the airport and keeps sharing his anecdotes / thoughts. As usual we got talking and we ended up to the flavour of the season - elections. And he had an interesting lot of dichotomies to share. As per him that NaMo is going to win the elections is a given; India needs a strong administrator. But Sir, Congress is the oldest party in India and they know the Indian political game inside out. RaGa will have an edge. I responded that RaGa has hardly any experience and is bumbling. He retorts that RaGa has the experienced team at his disposal and when a team is good, it is always the Captain who gets the credit. And then he posed a dichotomy, in Maharashtra, the current incumbent has drained and spoilt the state and will have no chance to get back to power (Incidentally the state is being run by the same party as at the centre). The conditions become further complex. He comes up with another observation. The local leader of his area (belonging to the incumbent party) has been in position for almost 20 years. So I ask him what does he do to garner that kind of long term support. He shares that the leader has lot of empathy for people of his constituency. If there is a marriage and he is invited, he will make it a point to visit even if it is for 10 mins. In this part of the world, that makes a huge difference. If there is a death in the family, he will be there at the head of the pall bearers. If the bereaved family do not have the resources, he provides. And then comes the punch. One month before elections, he starts a community lunch home, providing ample delicacies, twice a day. And he ends the session with "sir, still it will be NaMo"; and the oft repeated repartee these days "Ab ki baar Modi Sarkar" (this time it is the govt of Modi).

And I come to the moot question playing in my mind. What drives the Indian electorate? In developed economies (read Western countries) do you see such dichotomies? How much does the development plank and GDP growth rate really matter for the people at the lower base of the pyramid? And as the juggernaut of NaMo and RaGa rolls across the country in the pre-electoral drive, I am eagerly waiting for the verdict on 16 May when the election results will be announced.

This post was not about the Indian elections or the electoral strategy. That requires a separate treatise, which I am frankly not equipped to write. This was more an attempt to capture the simplicity with which people with much less educational degrees perceive life and analyse the trends. That the requirement of life can be so basic, may be astounding to many. But then that is how life is, in the vast GDP growth machine called India.

30 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great article! This is the kind of info that are meant to be shared
across the net. Disgrace on Google for not positioning this put
up higher! Come on over and talk over with my website .
Thank you =)

Anonymous said...

Good info. Lucky me I ran across your website by accident (stumbleupon).
I've book-marked it for later!

Anonymous said...

It is in point of fact a nice and useful piece of information. I'm glad that you
shared this useful info with us. Please stay us up to date
like this. Thank you for sharing.

Anonymous said...

I love it when people come together and share thoughts.
Great website, continue the good work!

Anonymous said...

hi!,I love your writing so so much! proportion we keep up a correspondence more about your post on AOL?
I require an expert on this area to resolve my
problem. Maybe that is you! Taking a look ahead to peer you.

Anonymous said...

This text is worth everyone's attention. When can I find out
more?

Anonymous said...

Hi there, I discovered your web site by means of Google even as looking for a related subject, your site came up, it
appears to be like good. I've bookmarked it in my google
bookmarks.
Hi there, simply was alert to your weblog via Google, and located that it's
really informative. I'm gonna be careful for brussels. I'll appreciate for those who proceed this in future.
Lots of folks will likely be benefited from your writing.
Cheers!

Anonymous said...

I do trust all the ideas you have introduced to your post.
They are very convincing and will definitely work.
Still, the posts are too short for novices. May you please
prolong them a little from subsequent time? Thanks for the post.

Anonymous said...

Having read this I thought it was rather enlightening.
I appreciate you taking the time and energy to put this
information together. I once again find myself spending a significant amount of time both reading and leaving comments.
But so what, it was still worth it!

Anonymous said...

Hi there, just became aware of your blog through Google,
and found that it is truly informative. I'm going to watch out for brussels.

I'll appreciate if you continue this in future. Many people will be benefited from your
writing. Cheers!

Anonymous said...

This website truly has all the information I needed about this subject and didn't
know who to ask.

Anonymous said...

Do you have a spam issue on this blog; I also am a blogger, and I was wanting to know your situation; many of us
have developed some nice procedures and we are looking to trade methods with other folks, please shoot me
an email if interested.

Anonymous said...

Your mode of describing everything in this article is actually nice, every one be able to simply be aware of it, Thanks
a lot.

Anonymous said...

Hi there it's me, I am also visiting this site daily, this website is really good
and the visitors are really sharing nice thoughts.

Anonymous said...

Howdy superb website! Does running a blog similar to this
require a great deal of work? I've very little understanding of coding however I had been hoping to start my own blog soon. Anyway,
should you have any recommendations or techniques for new
blog owners please share. I understand this is off topic however I simply had to ask.

Kudos!

Anonymous said...

Good day I am so happy I found your web site, I really found
you by error, while I was searching on Yahoo for something else, Regardless I am
here now and would just like to say thanks for a incredible post and a all round entertaining blog (I
also love the theme/design), I don't have time to browse it all at the minute but I have bookmarked it and also added in your
RSS feeds, so when I have time I will be back to read a
lot more, Please do keep up the great job.

Anonymous said...

I every time used to read post in news papers but now as I am a user of web thus from now I
am using net for posts, thanks to web.

Anonymous said...

I do not even know how I ended up here, but I thought this post was great.
I don't know who you are but certainly you are going to a famous blogger if you
are not already ;) Cheers!

Anonymous said...

I'd like to thank you for the efforts you have put in writing
this site. I'm hoping to view the same high-grade blog posts from
you in the future as well. In truth, your creative writing abilities
has inspired me to get my own, personal blog now ;)

Anonymous said...

An interesting discussion is worth comment. I do believe
that you should publish more about this topic, it may not be a taboo matter but generally
people don't discuss such issues. To the next! All the best!!

Anonymous said...

Very descriptive post, I loved that a lot. Will there be a part 2?

Anonymous said...

Hello to every body, it's my first visit of this webpage; this blog carries remarkable and really excellent material designed for visitors.

Anonymous said...

Hello! I know this is somewhat off topic but I was wondering
if you knew where I could get a captcha plugin for my comment form?
I'm using the same blog platform as yours and I'm having trouble
finding one? Thanks a lot!

Anonymous said...

I have read so many posts concerning the blogger lovers but this article is actually a fastidious post, keep it up.

Anonymous said...

Very rapidly this web site will be famous amid all blog viewers, due to
it's nice posts

Anonymous said...

Keep on writing, great job!

Anonymous said...

Pretty section of content. I simply stumbled upon your weblog and in accession capital to assert that I acquire
actually loved account your blog posts. Any way I'll be subscribing to your augment and even I fulfillment you get right of entry to consistently rapidly.

Anonymous said...

Spot on with this write-up, I absolutely believe that this amazing site needs a lot more attention. I'll probably
be back again to read through more, thanks for the info!

Anonymous said...

I was curious if you ever thought of changing the layout of
your website? Its very well written; I love what youve got
to say. But maybe you could a little more in the way of content so people could connect with
it better. Youve got an awful lot of text for only having one or two images.
Maybe you could space it out better?

Anonymous said...

I don't even know how I ended up here, but I thought this post was great.
I do not know who you are but definitely you're going to a famous blogger if
you are not already ;) Cheers!