Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Pursuit of the Franchise

Me and wife have finally been successful in getting ourselves registered as “voters” for the current parliamentary elections. But the pursuit of this goal has been long and interesting .

Our pursuit of the franchise started way back in 2003. Being in the Armed Forces, we were sent forms from the Headquarters in New Delhi. Everyone had to fill up the forms and send them back for taking up with the Election Commission. A part of it was to be sent to your representative in the hometown. We did all that, my father went to the local electoral office and tried to register our name, but nothing happened. The entire exercise turned out to be a damp squib with lot of wastage of precious government money and bales of paper and of course increasing the carbon footprint drastically.

Inspite of the uselessness, the incident triggered my father to continuously pursue me to get myself registered as a voter and get myself an EPIC (Electoral Photo Identity Card or the Voter’s Card). While he started on the primary premise that it is an important and valid identity proof, I countered that my Armed Forces Identity Card and Passport was good enough. He was smart. He changed his tack and chided me no end that being a responsible citizen of the country I cannot afford to be lackadaisical about something as important as exercising my franchise. His efforts came to a peak when the West Bengal state election machinery swung into action in 2005. Forms were taken, couriered to Mumbai with clarifications and important places to be filled up marked in pencil. We (me, my wife and sister) filled up the form, prepared the certificates required and sent it back. My father dutifully deputed my mom to deposit the form. The photo clicking session was on in phases and it coincided with our visit home. So I had no option but to visit the local school which was the epicenter of activity. One old, typically Bong Govt babu saw my slip and asked me to go to someone else. The next babu saw the slip and gave me a thick bunch of papers and directed with the well known gruffness “find out if your name is there”. After scanning a few sheets, suddenly I spotted my grandmother’s name followed by my parents and sister. But the list didn’t have me or my wife on it!! On pursuing it with the babu regarding how everyone but we are there, we had this interesting conversation:

Babu: Why are you trying to register now when you are 28 years old?
Me: I have been studying outside and have been serving in the Armed Forces since I completed my studies. I tried registering for the postal ballot last time but nothing happened.
Babu: Then if you have not felt the need to register to vote in the last 10 years, why are you bothering now. Go to the district headquarters and try your luck there.

I was flummoxed. But I was not cowed down. Next I went to the District Headquarters and it turned out to be an experience in being shunted from one desk to another. And that was enough for me to give up any attempts to exercise my franchise.

Cut to 2008.

NGOs and groups have been highly active and I came across the mass campaign by Tata tea – Jaago Re. Registering on the website was a cake walk with the exact address for form submission provided on the electronic form generated by the website. With all proof documents, photographs and the forms, I went to the designated office. People were courteous and helpful. The form was accepted, another guy checked it out on his computer database and gave me the relevant ID nos and it was done! I was still skeptical as the last couple of weeks my searches on the Maharashtra Election Commission website was coming to naught. And then yesterday I saw that my name was there. So yippee! We are finally going to vote. And we are excited.

Those of you who think the pursuit has ended are a little mistaken. Our names have some hilarious errors. My name has now my father’s name as my middle name and it is going to be an exercise to convince that we do not use our father’s name as our middle name. My father in law has been changed from Subhendu Bhusan Dasgupta to someone called Subhendu Ghosh and my wife has now become Devasree Subhendu Ghosh! Ofcourse getting this corrected would be much easier. Thanks to technology and changing mindsets.

So let’s go vote and be part of the choice!

7 comments:

Childhood Journeys said...

So did you guys vote or not

Amitabha said...

@ Childhood: We are going to do that tomorrow IST :)

Bharat said...

I agree.. I am not eligible this time also.. since I cannot show proof of residence for the last 6 months at any place as reqd. by Jaago Re.. My cases were worse.. i almost thrashed a guy in Mulund if it were not for my room mates..

praks said...

Nice to learn that your ordeal to get yourself registered was successful.

I am more of a Mohammad Ali type who is thinking about throwing my voter ID card in a sewage pit.

I was first registered as a voter in Gaya (Bihar) parliamentary consitutency- voted for probably the best doctor and a great social worker from the town - Dr. Ms. Sushila Sahay - She lost her deposit contesting on a JD ticket then.

Then I was registered in the prestigious South Delhi constituency where I went to vote taking 2 days CL from Baroda and travelled sleeper class in a packed train. Wanted to vote for Dr. Manmohan Singh on a Congress ticket who lost everything except his pants to the corrupt Vijay Kumar Malhotra as BJP swept all 7 out of Delhi.

I was disgusted the day the results of elections came in - not because my candidate lost but because the way Indian electoral system works - It sucks.

People are elected based on caste and their TRP ratings (Sidhu is a criminal, Dharmendra, Vinod Khanna, Govinda, Jaya Prada etal). No one really cares for people.

Jagore is a good initiative but when there are EC like Navin Chawla - elections will only be a farce.

For once I am glad that I did not vote - My location in US is not an excuse but never wanted to vote in the first place.

I was sick the day Gopalakrishna recommendation for removal of corrupt Chawla from EC was turned down by Pratibha Patil.

Sonia Gandhi is in control of everything incl. the outcome of these elections.

Sorry for very strong feelings - but it weren't like this before. I have voted 5 times in my life so far in Assembly/Lok Sabha election cutting across party lines.

I am still looking for a winner. I will never vote for crooks.

Voting Laloo who is a mass leader is much better then voting a Govinda who knows nothing apart from wearing yellow, purple, pink, green combinations.

Amitabha said...

@ Bharat: Ouch :)

Amitabha said...

@Praks: Thank you for your comments dude .... I can appreciate the disgust and frustrating machinery

Shibu said...

Interesting post, Amitabha :-)
I too was not able to vote till now because of army, MBA etc etc...

Finally got registered with ample help from the NGOs.

Did vote on Thursday :-)but was appalled to see the low voter turnout. Guess everyone went on a long 'chutti'!!